funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers - here's a screenshot

From: David M Chess <chess () us ibm com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 17:34:55 -0400

Well, the argument for it (or actually the email it can generate) being
spam is pretty obvious, presumably?

By pressing I guess it is two buttons on that screen, I can cause a
generic "come join Facebook!" message to be mailed by some third party to
everyone in my whatever-it-is address book.

If I upload a list of addresses to some site, knowing that that site is
then going to send unsolicited mail to everyone on that list, is there
spamming going on?

I think the answer is "yes".  It's slightly fuzzier who's actually doing
the spamming (me, or the site that actually sends the mail), but it seems
pretty clear that there is spamming going on?

If I manually send a note to everyone in my address book, saying "sign up
for service X 'cause I like it!", am I spamming?  I think so.

If I use a third-party web service to do that, am I spamming, or is the
web service spamming?  Distinction without a difference, I think: we (that
is, me + the web service) are spamming.  It's a conspiracy!  :)

Now if I only have five people in my addressbook, and I send them all
email saying "wow you'll love this band" because I think that all five of
them really will love it, is *that* spamming?  That's so de minimus and
borderline that I'd say "probably not".  But given how big your average
facebook user's email address is, and how generic the "Join Facebook!"
message is, I don't think it's de nearly so much minimus.  The argument
that it is spam is, at the very least, plausible.

But presumably you disagree?  I'd be interested in hearing which bits you
disagree with...

DC