funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers [was: And Facebook sells user data, too ...]

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 22:40:18 -0400

On Sun, 23 May 2010 17:39:19 EDT, Rich Kulawiec said:

As to the proper definition of spam (unsolicited bulk email): it's served
us very well for a long time.

But wait - is it in fact bulk?  It generates (apparently) one outbound
mail per request, although all of them *do* look alike, and they generate
a lot of them per day.

But then, the "lots of near-identical one-off mails per day" features are
shared by all the 'please confirm your subscription request" mails
sent by Listserv, MailMan, and other packages.  So if the Facebook mail
is spam, so is *every single properly run mailing list*.

So tell me Rick - what's the spam-definition difference between what appears
to be a "please confirm" request from Facebook, from a "please confirm"
request from a proper mailing list, given that *both* can be caused to happen
by a third party? I can spam you by sending you a Facebook invite, or I can
spam you by sending a forged subscribe request to a properly run mailing list.