funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers

From: "Justin Scott" <admin () dtdns com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 16:43:14 -0400

when they send me mail because one of their users
clicks "add buddy" that's borderline. when they
send me followup mail because i didn't answer,
then that is spam, 100%, and inarguably so.

As someone who is in a position to architect a similar feature for a web
site in the near future, how would you suggest this type of action be
implemented?  The system needs a way for people to invite their
friends/colleagues to participate in the system and e-mail offers the least
friction.  An invitation would only be sent when the user specifically
enters an e-mail address to send an invite to (addresses are not scraped
from anywhere).  Invitations are restricted so a user can only send one to
the same address every 12 hours with a maximum of five sends to a given
address within 30 days.  A "do not send me invites" option is included in
the message so a person can choose not to receive them (technically an
opt-out, but if they had opted in, they would already be a member therefore
rendering the invitation unnecessary to begin with; invitations are opt-out
by their very nature, imho).  I'm curious as to what sort of features or
limitations of an invitation system would meet your approval.

-Justin Scott