funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:40:26 +0300

On 5/25/10 2:24 PM, Jim Murray wrote:
On 23/05/2010 21:43, Justin Scott wrote:

As someone who is in a position to architect a similar feature for a web
site in the near future, how would you suggest this type of action be
implemented?

How I'd do it :

- No address scraping, ever. Directly typed addresses only.
- No more than one e-mail per user to any single entered address.
- No 'reminders'.
- The system should interpret no reply as 'I don't want any more
messages from this site, ever'.

I think I'd be okay with "this message will repeat itself in one week,
once."

- Put a link in the message sent which allows the recipient to decline
this message but still receive others.

While I personally dislike such systems this seems to me like the 'least
worst' option. Control stays with the message recipient and it's
defaults are to be as minimally annoying as possible.

Jim.

--
Gadi Evron,
ge () linuxbox org.