funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers [was: And Facebook sells user data, too ...]

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 21:55:23 -0400 (EDT)

Facebook does not spam.

Then they're picking on me, because the only way in which the mail
they've aimed at me can be non-bulk is if they're doing it to only me
(or some tiny subset including me - which subset would have to include
people as unrelated as Paul Vixie, based on his mail here a few weeks
ago).  There's sure no question of it being email or unsolicited,
leaving only the "bulk" leg of the UBE tripod in question.  (Yes, the
mail is substantively identical; the one I got to my netbsd.org
address, the one Paul Vixie reported, and the one I got to a mailing
list(!), all look identical except for mailmerge-style customizations.)

It also has opt-out links, which, like all good spammers' remove-list
links, are Web-only - they even call it "unsubscrib[ing]", implying
that victims are on a list, not just getting one-offs.  Even if it's
somehow not spam, it's sure going out of its way to look like it.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org