funsec mailing list archives

Re: 95% of User Generated Content is spam or malicious

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:29:10 -0800

Given the % of traffic that is SPAM, which translates into direct $, I'm not sure you can say it's been "won" or that
the end users aren't' feeling pain. They just feel it in their wallets, as opposed to their inboxes.

I know, it's shameless, but I have to feed my kids, and I'm not lying: using ThreatSTOP on the firewall turns the
asymmetric advantage the bot-using spammer has in favor of the defender, and saves bandwidth and network upgrade costs.