funsec mailing list archives

Re: Family tech support

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:04:03 -0800

I'm a huge Linux fan. I use it everywhere for servers (usually on top of
VMware ESXi), and try to get clients with lightweight needs to use it on
the desktop. Ubuntu and OO really do meet the needs of Suzy secretary,
Joe accountant and Biff "Frat Boy" trader (who should be using RDC/VNC
to tightly controlled platforms, as opposed to having access to PII and
mission critical data directly) very well, and protect you from their
clicking on links in e-mail.

Been a Unix geek forever (back to Unix Sys V.3 ).

Been there, done that on mainframes (first actual cert was Sys 370
operator, 1978, at the age of 10).

First 'net login was on a PDP/11-40 we hacked together from parts at the
RDS computer club in 1981.

Have Solaris Competency 2000, SNIA SAN for Networkers, and lots of other
equally economically useless certs.

Converted companies from Sun and PC to Mac once OSX came out.

Personally, I use Windows (7 currently on the primary, Vista on the
laptop and Home Theater), and Visual Studio, with VMWare Workstation;
because I have repeatedly run into things I CAN'T DO, with all the other
platforms, that I can, with Windows.

YMMV. Let the tool fit the requirement.