funsec mailing list archives

Re: Best Linux distribution for home use (was: Family tech support)

From: "Les Bell" <lesbell () lesbell com au>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:33:28 +1100

chris () blask org wrote:

So, the question is:  what is the best linux distribution for home use?
<<

You'll probably find that it's either Ubuntu or one of the Red Hat-derived
distros, most likely CentOS. Ubuntu seems to have pretty good support for
laptop hardware, particularly wireless drivers, from everything I've heard
(I don't use it myself). Fedora is OK, if you like a cycle of continual
re-installs because they don't have any long-term support - which is why I
use CentOS. Don't know about graphics driver support, as I very rarely boot
to runlevel 5 - I'm using it for servers and to run simulations, so I just
SSH in to do what I need.

I used to support both my kids' machines running RH 9 in the old days, but
my son bought himself a Mac, so he's doing his own thing, and daughter's
school requires her to run some Windows apps, so I gave in on that score.

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144