funsec mailing list archives

Re: Was the ClimateGate Hacker Justified? Join the Debate!

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:26:48 -0500

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 08:17:47 EST, Larry Seltzer said:

PS - If you haven't guessed it already, I think that climate science is
largely full of crap. Put aside for the minute that the models can't
explain why we've had *cooling* for the last 10 years; why would you
think that you can look at ice cores and use them to recreate
temperatures to within fractions of a degree? You can only prove the
accuracy of such methods by comparing them with actual temperatures and,
of course, we can't do that. I've had the sense for a long time that
these guys know a whole lot less about this stuff than they claim to.

Oh, missed this very good link:

http://www.climatedata.info/Proxy/Proxy/icecores.html - the big
take-away here is Figure 5 - once you got a fit like that, you can then
pretty safely use the CO2 concentration to predict temperature.  Then you
just get the annual worldwide consumption of fossil fuels, use that to
figure out what the CO2 concentration will be in 2050, and from that you
can make a damned good guess how warm Greenland and Miami are going to be.