funsec mailing list archives

Re: Onstar - throwing the baby out with the bath water

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:38:13 -0800

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Chris Boyd <cboyd () gizmopartners com> wrote:

On Nov 18, 2009, at 12:25 PM, Alex Eckelberry wrote:

I'm not so sure.  While I empathize with the mother, Onstar does have a
point--they can't reactivate the Onstar system without someone pressing
the "Blue button".

A software design/architecture issue, which could undoubtedly be fixed
going forward.

Yes, they will probably looking at changing that.  Which opens another can of worms.  How do you know the caller's
not just trying to steal the car or something from the car?  Stolen Visa card + access to DMV registration records +
OnStar = access to any car in the mall parking lot.

From the report:

Tampa Police, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, and Triple AAA had responded, but asked them to reach out to OnStar
first.

Since when does having OnStar mean that the fire/police won't respond?  I can understand if they were busy with
higher priority life threatening issues.  I can understand if they wanted to resolve the situation as quickly as
possible, and OnStar could do that at a lower cost to the jurisdiction.  Would be nice if ABCActionNews had gone into
more depth there....

But AAA?  Aren't they _paid_ to respond?

I think that's the key, it was a total non-emergency, but what mom
wants their kid locked up while the non-emergency delay is met?  So
they were like, heh, see if OnStar will open the damn door.