funsec mailing list archives

Re: Onstar - throwing the baby out with the bath water

From: "Buhrmaster, Gary" <gtb () slac stanford edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:31:15 -0800

Tampa Police, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, and
Triple AAA had responded, but asked them to reach out to OnStar first.

Since when does having OnStar mean that the fire/police won't respond?

I *suspect* (given the report) that the police/fire actually
responded to the scene and said they could open the car, but
it would be damaged to some degree (like, a broken window
from the fire axe, or the missing door after the jaws of life
got at it) and suggested that the individual contact OnStar
to open the door to minimize the expense/damage/clean up.

I am confident that if the fire department felt the baby
was actually in danger they would have had no hesitation
about using the fire axe to gain access.  Life comes first.
Property is a second priority.

Gary