funsec mailing list archives

Re: watch the lives of others, get cash prizes!

From: chris () blask org
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:29:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 10/13/09, Alex Eckelberry <AlexE () sunbelt-software com> wrote:

See?  It's very good to be watched.  Keeps you on your BEST behavior!

Oh, I know what you are saying, Alex.  But what has really changed?  Since the first person pointed a parallel-port
camera out their window and started posting jpegs one after another to a web page - what's new?  The scale?

Pick your nose on your front porch in Dorset, Ontario in 1983 and no-one had a digital camera - live or Memorex - but
maybe a Polaroid got snapped.  In 1963 the picture would never have gotten captured at all, but Mrs. Smith saw it and
you know she told everyone in the quilting circle she saw the dirty hippie with half his hand disappearing up his
greasy snout.  In 1863 it was a rare week's journey from Dorset to the City to the south and you lived with a hundred
people who never got more than a mile away from each other and everyone else knew more about how you picked your nose
than you knew yourself.  You probably weren't living in a home by yourself anyway - the generation before and after and
parallel to each side probably shared a few rooms, or the fortunate few had servants recording every pick and sharing
it at the tavern.

I guess my interest is more in considering where all this is taking us than in trying to figure out how to stop it.
Unless I am significantly mistaken there is going to be no roll-back of the digital camera nor law against pointing
them at the street in front of your house or the inside your store.  I think it will be some time (if at all) before
the government cameras already everywhere (particularly in places like England) are all streamed live to the web, but
if the quirky experiment that started this thread turns out to have a surprisingly dramatic impact on lowering crime
then we just might see public opinion turn on a relative dime on that topic, too.

I'm not the author of the world's trends, only a very lowly editor.  I'll be content if I can read the copy well enough
to change an interesting comma or two along the way.

:~)

-chris