funsec mailing list archives

Re: watch the lives of others, get cash prizes!

From: chris () blask org
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 05:31:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 10/12/09, Alex Eckelberry <AlexE () sunbelt-software com> wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/oct/07/cctv-surveillance-internet

I'm still trying to decide what I think about this one.  On the one hand, if it's my own business, then why not if it
provides some benefit?  It's effectively a public place already, and the cameras are already there, so anyone caught
doing something stupid on camera should already expect to be.  Besides, there is a certain level of free advertising
involved (assuming I don't run a sh*thole).

And as far as the logistics go (trolls, etc) I'm willing to bet those could be dealt with through moderately cognizant
means.  Trusted User status for demonstrated-good "viewers", TU alerts having vastly more importance than new-user
alerts...

On the broader privacy issues, which is better:  "it's OK, only the Government can watch you"; or, "you're already in
public, now everyone really can see you"?

Not sure I like all the implications of everyone watching everyone all the time, but there is nothing new about the
ethics of all this since I saw the first  "city cam" pointing out someone's office window.  It all boils down to the
same question at the end of the day: "did you ever believe you had privacy in your front yard in a small town, anyway?"

-chris