funsec mailing list archives

Re: B[lack]SOD

From: Martin Tomasek <tomasek () ufe cz>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:45:57 +0100

Robert Slade napsal(a):
OK, after it having been out for a couple of days, and having not seen any problems, I foolishly installed the latest
Windows Update last night.

This morning the computer had crashed four time times.

I wanted to experience this and was unable to reach black SOD. Life is
unfair. :-)

AFAIK the only system affected with this bug is win7. And by your
description, it looks like power/thermal management related bug. For
example, AMDs can react similarly to overheating.

No warning.  Screen goes black.  CPU light goes out: power light stays on.  I seem to get about 5-10 minutes, and
then it goes.

Help?

Reboot to safe mode, then roll back the updates? Test if safe mode
doesn't surprise you the same way first. If does, try to disable power
management, it might help. While you are playing with power management,
switch all the fans to full speed (and check if they are actually
running on full speed after logging to windows).

--
Martin Tomasek