funsec mailing list archives

Re: Presidential Internet Kill Switch

From: Michael Collins <mcollins () aleae com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:39:25 -0400

Eh, it's a moot point already.  DoD regulation 8570 is probably the
inspiration for the senate order --- pretty much, if you are defense
contracting, everyone's looking at you to have something like a
CISSP.  So, in terms of actual dollar figures, it was a done deal 2
years ago.

Since I was lecturing on this last night, I'll play devils advocate
for certification, or ideal certification in this case.  We all know
that the golden rule of cryptographic protocol creation is "don't".
But developers love to innovate needlessly, and so we see them create
their own crypto protocols over and over again, with exciting new
vulnerabilities each time.  The singles.org/4chan  debacle earlier
this year is an example of an ignorant developer reinventing the wheel
with humiliating results.  *if* certification teaches developers the
necessary set of skills to prevent them from making the same mistakes
everybody does at square zero, then it has some value.  Even
CISSP,which I will happily crap on usually, at least has the advantage
of teaching that security isn't just in the software, and that you
have to at least have a nodding familiarity with site security.

The major problem, from my POV, is that when we think "certification"
as developers, we think stuff like Oracle or A+ or CNDS or stuff that
is more for the benefit of the companies issuing the certification
than for the client.  I think in the long run, we're going to end up
looking more at certification in the sense that CivEs or EE's look at
it - something like professional engineering certification.  That
said, the design process is still radically different and there are
liability problems that we have to address.  Given the state of most
software right now, a PE equivalent for secure software is a "please
shoot me" ticket.