funsec mailing list archives

Re: Presidential Internet Kill Switch

From: chris () blask org
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 02:23:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 9/23/09, Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com> wrote:

Yes.  Those of us who have a problem with the criminals and terrorists
and whomever winning should probably stop worrying about
some in extremis provision that'll never be triggered and worry
more about the part where some certification authority can fire you.

Sure, but worrying about a provision where the Governor can take your kidney if aliens land on a Leap Tuesday makes for
much better press.

I'm a touch ambivalent about the certification thing.  On the one hand it can be a pain (and one more damn course to
take), on the other hand I can understand how external non-expert regulatory regimes could desire reasonable assurance
that the folks doing the work are qualified.

As it stands it is a [sic]"the prime contractor needs the cert" thing, so everyone under that person/organization would
not require it.  It would depend to some extent how onerous getting the cert is to tell how it might shape contracting
relationships.  In any case, it wouldn't hurt for everyone to get the cert if at all possible.

-chris