funsec mailing list archives

Re: Presidential Internet Kill Switch

From: "Buhrmaster, Gary" <gtb () slac stanford edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 04:01:51 -0700

<rant>
I don't have a problem with certification, per se.
</rant>

I agree that we have a problem with asserting that *any*
certification means anything useful in the real world(*).
At the same time, I understand that trying to determine
what a one really *knows* (rather than what they can
parrot) is a hard thing to do, and using the easy
approach of a certification (or is an alumni of
your Ivy League school) is an all too common hiring
criteria.  What *I* want to know is how one thinks
and approaches a problem, so that I can expect that
when one has a new problem (not previously memorized
from the book), one can actually solve it.  It is
the "hire smart people, the rest will follow" approach.

Gary

(*) Even the "hands on" certifications are claimed
    by some to be being made less than useful by
    certification factories that train their students
    for the specifics of the actual tests.  It is
    just an additional memorization step.