funsec mailing list archives

Re: Firefox' privacy mode not so private

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:04:29 -0800

Date sent:              Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:21:55 +1200
From:                   Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>

David Lodge wrote:

[1] I think we should set up some sort of cookie/LSO bank: everybody puts  on
a marketing cookie with the same UID, mess up the marketing figures  summat
rotten :-)

Yes, I know you can nuke cookies between sessions or more often as
suits your personal tastes, but then you have to go and reset several
settings at Google to get it working usefully, rather than the ugly
defaults.

Actually, with the LSOs, and the clearing tool at
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_
manager07.html , the loss of LSO cookies seems to be permanent.  I started to
delete them individually, realized how many there were, and nuked the whole lot.
Now all the sites that I know set them (like the YouTube volume settings) are
permanently unset.  Doesn't matter how many times I go back to YouTube and
bring the volume down, it doesn't set any LSO cookies any more, and YouTube is
always full volume whenever I go back.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Anything a faculty member can learn, a student can easily.
                                            - Richard Wesley Hamming
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/