funsec mailing list archives

Re: Firefox' privacy mode not so private

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:14:16 +0100

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 00:40:10 +0100, Imri Goldberg <lorgandon () gmail com>
wrote:
It seems this was some kind of a 'known secret', but firefox' privacy
mode
isn't private. Apparently, websites[1] can use flash to store
'Local-Shared-Objects' (LSOs, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Shared_Object ), which are basically
cookies. Firefox' regular capabilities of 'clear all private data' and
'privacy mode', which supposedly don't leave any record of your browsing
history, don't erase these files.

It's not really a surprise, and I doubt any browser clears these away as
flash stores them in it's area.

I've been unrelated research on LSOs recently and hacked up a quick and
dirty reader for .sol file. I thought I'd see what information they
contain. Most are like marketing cookies and just contains a UID
number[1], though some ones may leak information. For example, BBC iPlayer
stores the position that you stop a program in in the middle. For example,
I nipped over to iPlayer and started the last episode of Mock the Week,
then paused it; the LSO contained:
[dave@yggdrasil flashsol]$ ./readsol autoResume.sol
Shared Object name: autoResume
Version: AMF0
items: Array: [
Key 0: Array: [
Key totalTime: Number: 1800.064000
Key prevPos: Number: 265.000000
Key id: String: b00mpq4p
]
]

Not too exciting, until we look at the id items[0][id] key and see that
this maps to the URL of the program:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mpq6y/Mock_the_Week_Series_7_Episode_10/

Showing that we could use the LSOs to see what programs have been watched
through iPlayer.

[1] I think we should set up some sort of cookie/LSO bank: everybody puts
on a marketing cookie with the same UID, mess up the marketing figures
summat rotten :-)

dave