funsec mailing list archives

Re: All your database (and email) are belong to us ...

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:30:31 -0400

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 06:04:45AM -0700, Hubbard, Dan wrote:
Tjx is now synonomous with breach. I would say their event has made
signifigant issues to their brand, reputation, and company bottom line.

Sure it is: *to us*.  Everyone else?   They barely know.  If they know,
they don't understand.  If they understand, they don't care.  If they care,
they can't do anything about it anyway.

Until we make CXX types personally liable -- as in "we are taking all of
your assets and sending you to federal prison" -- this won't change.
They'll just issue soothing press releases, have their spokesdroids
lie convincingly, hand out worthless credit report monitoring (much
to the pleasure of the credit bureaus, who now have a handy marketing
tool to keep the suckers on the line), use the word "unforeseen" a lot
in reference to events that everyone saw coming a mile away, and go right
back to (highly lucrative) business as usual.

---Rsk