funsec mailing list archives

Re: fascinating deceptive writing in news [was: Great NPR foo]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:17:27 +0300

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:56:28 +0300, Gadi Evron said:
Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
"A boy comes home from school and logs on to the computer. He types in a search
for, say, 'sex pictures'. Thousands of sites appear and he starts exploring. ..."

Horses don't enter into it until later.
I never claimed it's the first thing he does. I was counting.

What you said:

"showing us how our boy can get home from school and with simple searches on
the net for say, horse-back riding can end up in a porn site showing something
else entirely.

I don't see I claimed it is the first thing he does, but in fact, it is.

Interesting that the article says "sex pictures", but your version says
"horseback riding".  I'd call that at least slightly deceptive. ;)

No duh. I think on balance, his long paragraph on the subject or my two
hyperbole words, even themselves out.