funsec mailing list archives

Re: how to verb twitter

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 02:46:29 +0300

Imri Goldberg wrote:
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM, David M Chess <chess () us ibm com
<mailto:chess () us ibm com>> wrote:

    P.S. Have we all seen Omegle?  :)

Just checked it out, because you mentioned it.
My impressions:

Imri convinced me to try Omegle out. I was very impressed.

Simple interface, not complex functionality at all.

You can chat, and you can disconnect. You are anonymous unless you
choose to tell the other person who you are.

I just finished my first chat there, and it was fun. It seems like a
waste to me to be able to chat with people and yet not necessarily keep
in touch, but the experience with the types of people you meet makes all
the difference.

6. It's very much like speed-irc, as in "speed dating" as opposed to
regular dating.

I was not reminded of the beach meeeting people, but rather of the old
classic movie Logan's Run where random people who match you exactly are
transported to you so you can have non-commital sexual relations. Only,
not sexual.
This won't turn into a dating service (I'll probably be proven wrong).

It felt like a shot in the dark. You find someone random, defying the
whole idea of the Internet where interest groups on every subject meet
each other and become a marketing force based on that affiliation.

More interesting, this service as you mentioned with the beach story,
raises the subject of how one introduces oneself to be interesting, as
well as without other prior knowledge to affect our social engine, how
we treat other people and get treated.

9. I wondered how secure it is, who is logging the conversations/ip
addresses involved etc.

They probably don't have the disk space. :P

Also, thanks for pointing this out, fascinating:

* I was reminded of a very good discussion of online identities here:
http://www.juliandibbell.com/texts/bungle.html . Old, but
thought-provoking read. The relevant quote from that text is:

"Inside the MOO, however, such thinking marked a person as one of two
basically subcompetent types. The first was the newbie, in which case
the confusion was understandable, since there were few MOOers who had
not, upon their first visits as anonymous "guest" characters, mistaken
the place for a vast playpen in which they might act out their wildest
fantasies without fear of censure. Only with time and the acquisition of
a fixed character do players tend to make the critical passage from
anonymity to pseudonymity, developing the concern for their character's
reputation that marks the attainment of virtual adulthood."