funsec mailing list archives

Re: Pentagon spends over $100 million on cyberattack cleanup

From: "John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP" <bambenek.infosec () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:05:55 -0500

$100 million is a rounding error to them.

On 4/7/09, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10214416-83.html

Pentagon spends over $100 million on cyberattack cleanup
by Elinor Mills

"The Pentagon spent more than $100 million in the past six months
cleaning up after Internet attacks and network issues, military leaders
said on Tuesday.

"The important thing is that we recognize that we are under assault from
the least sophisticated--what I would say the bored teenager--all the
way up to the sophisticated nation-state, with some petty criminal
elements sandwiched in between," Air Force Gen. Kevin Chilton, head of
U.S. Strategic Command, told reporters at a cyberspace conference in
Omaha, Neb., as reported by CBS News.

Neither he nor Army Brigadier Gen. John Davis, deputy commander for
network operations, would say how much of the estimated $100 million was
spent cleaning up from viruses compared with outside attacks and
inadvertent security problems due to U.S. Department of Defense
employees. However, they did say that spending money to shore up the
networks to prevent attacks and breaches would be better than paying to
clean up after an incident.

..."

--
Sent from my mobile device