funsec mailing list archives

Re: Autorun

From: rackow () mcs anl gov
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:27:18 -0600

Do you need the Olympus program to read from the camera?  Can't you
just download the Olympus Master-2 from their web site and use that?
I've typically gotten a CD with any camera that I've bought that has
various software tools on it for use with the camera.

Autorun is evil.  It always has been.  Just ask DoD about it and
the recent news stories about removable media.

--Gene

"Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" made the following keystrokes:
Date sent:            Tue, 23 Dec 2008 22:06:29 -0800
From:                 Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () gmail com>

I disabled AUTORUN a long time ago -- for things like digital cameras , or
anything else that relay on AUTORUN to automagically launch an application, you
can always simply move files around as you would any other attached
device/drive.

Ah, yes, on the old stuff.  One of my old digitals does the same.

New Olympus SP-550UZ.  Very fancy.  With Autorun off, connect, and it just sits
there.  Computer doesn't even recognize that anything's attached.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Given a choice between dancing pigs and security, users will
choose dancing pigs every time.                   - Edward W. Felten
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/