funsec mailing list archives

Re: medical guns!

From: Damian Gerow <dgerow () afflictions org>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 22:29:26 -0500

(Let's ignore that you snipped out the portion that wasn't easy to address,
and didn't involve knee-jerk reactions, on both of our parts.)

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
: >(For the record, I'm against handguns of any nature, regardless of
: their
: >concealed nature, and I don't much care for any statistics tipping the
: >scales one way or another.  But you won't see me chime in on the
: debate,
: >because I've never handled a handgun, seen a handgun, or even heard a
: >handgun go off, let alone been in a situation that was created by, or
: >could
: >have been avoided by, a handgun.)
:
: So you admit that your opinion about handguns is based on complete
: ignorance of their use, benefits, or otherwise? Hardly a sound basis for
: making a decision, especially when it relates to life, limb, liberty or
: property, IMNSHO.

Nope, it sure isn't.  That's why I've not bothered arguing my viewpoint, and
why I won't bother here.  I'm ignorant on the subject; I sit on the
sidelines, watching the arguments, but in order to form a full and proper
opinion, I need to be honest about my (admittedly ill-informed) bias.

: Seems like a phobia to me. Which, in my experience, is the basis of most
: opposition to firearms.

Really?  It's a phobia?  So, simply stating, "Hey, I don't like handguns,
but my opinion is completely uninformed and holds no real accountability,"
is akin to saying, "GUNS KILL PEOPLE!  BAN ALL GUNS!  GUNS ARE BAD!"?

I don't care to get into an argument about whether or not guns are useful.
But I hope you can acknowledge the difference between honest ignorance, and
close-minded prejudice.