funsec mailing list archives

Re: The right to bear arms & make salad

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:13:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Imri Goldberg:

For Brian Loe and Drsolly:

"Most fatal stabbings involve a weapon that is easy to obtain and sharp with
it - a kitchen knife. Would stopping the sale of long blades with sharp
points help save lives?"*

Do these teenager stabbings actually involve kitchen knives?  I'd think
that carrying around an ordinary kitchen knife would diminish your
reputation among your peers.

(In the homicide statistics, broken glasses and bottles routinely appear
in the same category as knives, BTW.)

A certain peace-keeping unit had an unofficial "thing" among the troops.
As you can't use your hot weapons unless fired upon, you can only
use your hands or clubs (if you have them on you).

So, if targeted with a knife or a stone, you are incapable or responding
too well.

What these folks did was sharpen their belt buckles--extremely--and use
them.

I think the commanding officers (very much) frown on that, but I'd have
done the same in their position.

Let's ban belts (or belt buckles).

        Gadi.