funsec mailing list archives

Re: Who on funsec is in the "Main Core" database?

From: coderman <coderman () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 00:02:14 -0700

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Gary Warner <gar () askgar com> wrote:
... They have a machine called a "puffer" there, you walk
into it, the doors close before and behind you, and you get hit by
around thirty jets of air, while suction at the bottom of the "booth"
sucks all your dust into an analysis machine.

such a cool prop, yes?

I'm not sure how [.. this does jack shit to protect anything ...]
I think someone forgot to read the manual on how
to clean the filters, or more likely, they spent $150,000 on the
machine, but not the $300 each day for new filters.

while these devices do make the show more entertaining, i think that
production budget would be better spent on developing some additional
plot and character for the actors involved, and perhaps some better
costume design.  alas, there is no good way to integrate some sweet
digital effects into this airport improv theater...

(P.S. supposedly the puffers are good at peroxide based explosives,
like TATP, and much smaller trace amounts of nitrate based.  also note
the quip about sniffing out narcotics :)

((P.P.S trivial denial of service attacks against these machines, and
the swab detectors too, is left as an exercise for the reader.  but
boy are they cool props!))

For the record, I'm not in the "Main Core" database.  I'm in the Other
Database.  I'd invite you, but you're probably not 733T enough.

you're a bastard, sir. :)

it's just not fair to clear customs that quickly...

(yes, there is a whitelist, like there's a blacklist.  and boy what a
difference it makes when crossing borders or checkpoints)