funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bosses to snoop on emails - and you would never know

From: David Lodge <dave () cirt net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:01:54 -0400

Quoting quispiam lepidus <quispiam.lepidus () gmail com>:
Monitoring employee emails is nothing new, I've seen it happening for the
last 10 years in both private enterprise and govt. So my question is, is
monitoring employee emails currently illegal in Australia? Or is it the
interpretation of "Intercepting" that is important?

The magic words here are:
"would allow companies to intercept staff emails without the consent
of workers."

Consent is important in a lot of countries - though usually this is
given in the employee's contract. IIRC you even need it in the US as
it's against one of the millions of amendments to the constituion...

dave