funsec mailing list archives

Bosses to snoop on emails - and you would never know

From: "quispiam lepidus" <quispiam.lepidus () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:26:53 +1000

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,23535224-5014108,00.html

"BOSSES could be given the power to snoop on employees' emails and monitor
their internet messaging under a new plan to avert a terrorist attack in
Australia.

Federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland has said the new measures, which
could be in place as early as next year, would allow companies to intercept
staff emails without the consent of workers.

He has told Fairfax that the powers are necessary to foil attacks aimed at
crippling the country's financial, electricity and transport systems that
would be more damaging than terrorist bombings.

But the proposal has drawn scathing criticism from civil liberties groups,
which have said it would allow bosses to go snooping for dirt on workers
whom they want to sack. "

Monitoring employee emails is nothing new, I've seen it happening for the
last 10 years in both private enterprise and govt. So my question is, is
monitoring employee emails currently illegal in Australia? Or is it the
interpretation of "Intercepting" that is important?