funsec mailing list archives

Re: TrendMicro goes Douchebag

From: John Payne <john () sackheads org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:33:45 -0500

On Jan 30, 2008, at 3:44 PM, security curmudgeon
<jericho () attrition org> wrote:

: >I didn't think it was an attack against open source software, but
: >rather a patent on "virus scanning on ftp and smtp gateways"
:
: Why? It's a valid patent -- it was invented & implemented by our
(now
: CEO) Eva Chen.

It's "valid" in what context? Yes, it is valid in the sense that the
USPO
issued the patent to TrendMicro for whatever.

Is it valid in the sense that it was truly an original idea and
there was
no prior art? That is probably debatable.

Then it is GOOD that trend micro is trying to enforce it. Without
enforcement there would be no challenge.