funsec mailing list archives

RE: DynDNS Won't Deliver NDRs

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:21:23 +0100

Everyone please brace yourselves: It seems that spammers and
malware authors have actually taken to abusing the NDR
mechanism. Can you imagine?

Who'da thunk it? ;-)

The only real question I have here is that they say the value
of NDRs is nil. Not the first time I've heard this. Perhaps
the RFC should change?

Well, the value of a genuine NDR isn't nil. The question is, whether that
value is outweighed by the nuisance value of the misuse. On the whole I
think it is (and said so frequently during the massmailer boom), but that
seems to be far from universal. On occasion, I've had legal departments
quoted at me to prove it...

--
David Harley
http://www.smallblue-greenworld.co.uk