funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK bomb car tracked by highway license plate scanners

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:02:51 -0500

On 7/3/07, Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com> wrote:
Brian Loe wrote:
> Until AI has evolved to the point that we can remove humans from
> positions of power and judgement, replacing them with non-feeling,
> incorruptible machines, we have to live with the fact that every
> system is flawed and the more power you give that system the more
> flawed it will be.

Hey, you accidentally dragged the discussion back into security
relevance. How's that incorruptible machine thing working out for you?

Why would it have to be accidental?

Point is, humans are...human. Unless you replace humans with something
that doesn't have a personal interest, power corrupts. That, as I
said, doesn't work either because those types of things (whether they
be some sort of AI or a yes/no machine) can not compute compassion and
mercy. So, the finer point is that there will never be a benevolent
government and therefore the government must remain in the hands of
the People - and not just the majority of the People but a
representative body of the People. The US isn't a democracy for this
very reason.

Besides, what happens when you put your government/jurist IA SCADA/DCS
network on the 'Net?!