funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK bomb car tracked by highway license plate scanners

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 10:29:37 -0500

On 7/3/07, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:

I think we should acquiesce that invasion of privacy is already here
and work towards legislation to better root out corruption in our
systems, rather than vainly try to quash the deployment of the
technollogy that makes this possible.

The logic behind this idea is the same as the argument that,
"Communism can work, it just hasn't been implemented correctly yet."

Until AI has evolved to the point that we can remove humans from
positions of power and judgement, replacing them with non-feeling,
incorruptible machines, we have to live with the fact that every
system is flawed and the more power you give that system the more
flawed it will be.

But if that time of AI in charge is ever realized I hope I'm not
around, since a cold, non-feeling machine will not feel compassion or
mercy either and to date those are an integral part of our legal
system.