funsec mailing list archives

Re: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed the Declarationof Independence ?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:26:39 -0500

On 7/9/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

> And what was the document freeing all of England's many slaves in all
> of its many colonies, benevolent one?

It was an act of parliament, long before your civil war.

Hmm...you mean you didn't just *know*?

> Really, your rants on this subject are getting very old and add
> nothing to the debate.

If you don't like the heat ...

Exactly my point. What you seem to not understand is that like many,
I'm the offspring of immigrants - immigrants from just the last
century. Poor immigrants I might add, so even if we had come here
before the slaves were freed we'd have been worse off, having our
freedom but little else.

Further, those who had the money and the power were mostly from your
blood line, from England. Old families and old money. Money based on a
market of trade that, at the time (and not for that much longer) was
based on slavery providing the labor. Money is what the civil war was
about, slavery would have gone the way of the dodo bird regardless -
Lincoln only used it as a political tool to keep the British (you) and
French out of the war (since, after all, they (you) benefited from our
slaves too and would have sided with the south!).

I've pointed out this hypocrisy before, but I believe you failed to respond...