funsec mailing list archives

Re: Proper y'all usage

From: Dave Paris <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 15:00:37 +0000

Gary,

This is, quite possibly, the penultimate explanation I have ever seen - and dead-on accurate.

There's only one notable exception that I could possibly think of.. "made". I simply cannot understand where the derivation comes from - but primarily used with reference to photographs, in sentences such as "All ya'll's fixin ta get yer picture made?" - where "made" is used as "taken" or "picture made" would be "photographed".

So, uhh.. nex' time youz finds youzself in Roch., NY, mebbe we'z could has a beah? YaknowwhadImean? ;-)

In Hilarity,  # read twice, that is *NOT* "Hilary"
-d :)

Gary Warner wrote:
Dave Paris wrote:
Just to ensure proper Southern grammar:

ya'll - singular
all ya'll - plural
all ya'll's - plural posessive

.. hey, my wife escaped from Alabama, what can I say? ;-)

Dave,

As a former Yankee, who is a CURRENT resident of Alabama, I felt that a
deeper explanation was probably needed.

y'all
 - a contraction of "you all", which is a reordering of "all of you".
 - proper usage:

      Y'all should come over for lunch after church.

compare with the Chicago version of my youth:

      Youse guys should come over for a drink after the game.

Unfortunately many in rural Alabama, which includes the majority of the
older population, improperly use this as a singular pronoun, as Dave
mentions.  Even their children, who are better fed, better educated, and
even go on to college and a real job, often retain the linguistic
patterns of their youth, so that even professionals and business people
betray their heritage by using the improper form of the word.  Instead
of being used as "you all", it is frequently used to replace the word "you".

   Jim Bob:  Hey Bubba, How y'all doing?
   Bubba:    Jes fine, Jim Bob. How y'all?

When I'm feeling especially Yankee and I'm greeted in this manner, I
reply in a smart-ass way, to help keep the concept of "the damned
Yankee" alive and well:

   Jim Bob: Hey Gar, How y'all doing?
   Gar:     All of us are fine, Jim Bob.  How are all of you?

Of course this means that I am less often invited to lunch at Full Moon
BarBQ, where the sign proclaims "You can smell our butts for miles!".
But that's ok, I prefer sushi anyway.

It is also frequently further contracted with the word "what", so that
the phrase "what are you doing?", which is contracted to "what're you
doing?" or even "watcha doing?" in other parts of the country, here is
contracted to "watchall doing?"  (What are you all => watchall).

Those who use "y'all" as a singular then faced the fact that they could
not tell the difference between the singular and plural pronouns, and so
they developed the phrase "all y'all".  (However, y'all is freely mixed
as singular or plural in most scenarios.  The use of "all y'all" is
considered "more rural" than the typical interchangeable use.)

   Bubba:     Emma Sue, y'all wanna go hear some music tonight?
   Emma Sue:  I cain't, Bubba.  I'm fixin' to go to church with my cousins.
   Bubba:     That's ok, all y'all could come after church.
   Emma Sue:  Hmmm.  We might could at that!  Could you carry us?
   Bubba:     Great!  What time is all y'all's church over?

(Helpful notes:

"fixin'" is used as "about to", but has its roots in
"preparing to" or "getting ready to".

    I'm fixin' to go to bed.
    American Idol is fixin' to start!
    We was jes fixin' to eat.

"Might could" is roughly the equivalent of "Might be able to" or "could
possibly".

"Carry" means "to provide a ride".

    D'y'all think you might could carry me home after work?