funsec mailing list archives

RE: OT: Royalty talk

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 00:42:23 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 7 May 2007, David Harley wrote:

This makes it even more interesting to me - and especially so
now that my wife and I are hooked on that "Tutors" show on
Showtime. In it, the queen is The Queen even though she was
only a Spanish princess before marrying The King of England
(good ol' Henry VIII).

Henry VIII's queens were queens consort, not joint monarchs. They had the
title but not the power.

Also, this Henry was a Tudor and
wasn't he the one that formed the Church of England?

Correct and correct. Basically because the Church of Rome wouldn't endorse
his changing consorts in midstream, as I remember.

I think it was a whole lot more comlicated than that. Certainly that's
what I was taught in History at school, but I think there must have been,
at that time, a major groundswell of anti-catholic feeling in England.