funsec mailing list archives

RE: OT: Royalty talk

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 19:55:07 +0100

This makes it even more interesting to me - and especially so
now that my wife and I are hooked on that "Tutors" show on
Showtime. In it, the queen is The Queen even though she was
only a Spanish princess before marrying The King of England
(good ol' Henry VIII).

Henry VIII's queens were queens consort, not joint monarchs. They had the
title but not the power.

Also, this Henry was a Tudor and
wasn't he the one that formed the Church of England?

Correct and correct. Basically because the Church of Rome wouldn't endorse
his changing consorts in midstream, as I remember.

Does this perhaps go back to the original "royal families" of
Europe (King of England being a cousin of the Kind of France
and all that) - you would need to come from one of those
families to marry and become Queen as opposed to being born
of a "made" Lord or whatever?

Partly, I guess. But as always in politics, the rules get changed all the
time as expediency dictates.

Going to have to go read up on him after all - the tv show is
just entertainment...Anne Boleyn (sp?) is even attractive
where as I thought she was supposed to be quite ugly (but
perhaps that was because the English People loved Catherine
so much?).

She generally seems to have been portrayed as a bit of glamour puss in TV
and the movies. The general consensus seems to have been that she was
attractive, but not conventionally beautiful.

You know, it's nearly 40 years since I had to study this stuff: don't take
my word on it!

--
David Harley CISSP
Security Author/Editor/Consultant/Researcher