funsec mailing list archives

RE: OT: Royalty talk

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 19:06:14 +0100

I'm the wrong person to answer this: I'm no monarchist. But I'll have a go.

 Queen Elizabeth (Queen Mum right?)is married?

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (official title) is deceased. She was Queen
Mother because she was the widow of a formerly reigning monarch (George VI).
She was Queen Consort, which means that she wasn't monarch but the spouse of
the monarch, so the succession passed to the eldest child (Queen Elizabeth
II, the current queen/monarch and formerly Princess Elizabeth). The Queen
Mum was a member of the Royal Family by marriage, not by succession, so I
guess couldn't have reigned in her own right.

Yah, I would
think her husband would be King.

Doesn't work like that. Prince Philip is Prince Consort and member of the
royal family by marriage, not monarch, and there's no such title as King
Consort. He is neither King nor in line of succession.

  I know of Prince Charles, which is the son of Queen
Elizabeth, right?

Prince Charles (the Prince of Wales, a title which always passes to the
eldest son of the reigning monarch, I think) is the heir apparent (next in
line of succession) because he's the eldest son of the reigning monarch
(Elizabeth II).

Then his sons, both a Prince....

Yes. William, then Harry, in line of succession. (After them, line of
succession goes back to Prince Andrew, Charles' brother, and down to his
children. Then back up to Edward, Charles' youngest brother and his
children. Then back up to Princess Anne and her offspring. I guess Princess
Margaret would have fitted in there somewhere if she'd survived her sister,
but I don't know where. Note that male and female consorts don't figure.)

Princess
Diana was a princess, married to Prince Charles.

But not in line of succession. If they'd stayed together, she could
eventually have been Queen consort, but not queen.

Darn... I guess I know a lot less about that stuff that I thought!

Darn. I guess I know a lot more about it than I want to. ;-)

My usual go-to-guy for all things Royal is away and I'm
curious, why is the English Queen married to a Prince?
Doesn't he become a King when he marries a Queen?

I guess that depends on where they are. I'm even less interested in other
Royal Families than in this one. But in the UK, the right of succession is
determined by descent and by several statutes. I think the gist of it is
that only Protestant descendants of the House of Hanover are eligible, and
it's rather unusual for a spouse to be a member of the same Royal Family.
(Phillip, just to confuse things, is a member of the Greek and Danish Royal
families, and was formerly a Prince in his own right, but gave up those
titles before his marriage.) The Queen Mum and Diana were both members of
the aristocracy, but not of the Royal family.

Any questions? Please direct them to Dr Solly. My brain is starting to hurt.
:-)

--
David Harley CISSP
Security Author/Editor/Consultant/Researcher