funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: John Forrister <John () segfault com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 21:01:31 -0700

Jeffrey Sharpe wrote:
I don't post to this list hardly at all, but in this instance, I think I
have to side with Brian in this.

I agree with Brian for the most part as well.
Now I agree that some things have no place on an airplane, I also think that
if the airline industry had taken the separation of the pilots from the
passengers into account when trying to come up with ways to deal with
Hijackings long ago, we would probably have been much better off on 9/11.

Lots of things went wrong that day.
Granted that guns and knives on a plane are bad things all around when you
have people willing to die to kill others, but what about pepper spray?  Not
generally considered as deadly, but for the most part will incapacitate
someone.  I would be more than willing to let people have pepper spray on an
airplane that I am on.  Sure, it could get bad if there is an issue with
someone with bad intentions, but which is better, to have a bunch of people
that have been spraying pepper spray around like crazy, or a plane being
crashed into a building?

Again, my personal concern with pepper spray would be collateral damage
- you probably couldn't hit _only_ the bad guy, you'd get most of the
people around him, as well, and probably yourself as well.
Now I go to put on my Flame retardant suit!  :p

No need for that :)

-John