funsec mailing list archives

Spybot v. Symantec

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 23:32:14 -0400

Security Smackdown: Spybot vs. Symantec
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002874.html

While installing my review copy of Norton Internet Security 2007, I found
that Symantec's software recommended that I uninstall not only Spybot but
also Webroot Spy Sweeper antispyware software. (See the screenshot below.)

 NIS20072lores.jpg
<http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/NIS20072lores.jpg>

When I declined the uninstall recommendation, I was able to continue
installing Norton Internet Security 2007, during which process Spybot
detected multiple changes to the Registry and asked to me allow or reject
each one of them.

Spybot creator Patrick Kolla said that Safer Networking is working on a
Spybot update that would whitelist Norton Internet Security 2007 and allow
the installation without the multiple warning pop-ups.

Symantec, who was unavailable for further comment, responded in a statement:
"Symantec has been working with Safer Networking and will continue to work
with them directly and through industry organizations to reach a consensus
on the best way to prevent software conflicts-which are common due to the
nature of security software programs."