funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spybot v. Symantec

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 13:04:24 -0400

On 10/1/06, Richard M. Smith <rms () bsf-llc com> wrote:

Security Smackdown: Spybot vs.  Symantec
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002874.html

While installing my review copy of Norton Internet Security 2007, I found  that Symantec's software recommended that I
uninstall not only Spybot but also  Webroot Spy Sweeper antispyware software. (See the screenshot below.)

Its kinda hard to run two continual scanning apps;
anti(spy/mal/ad)ware, or anti virus software unless you can configure
the two to not scan each others binaries or protected files. Also, I
dont know what would happen if they both tried to watch port 80 or
some such for those that do scan memory.

I didnt know this was a proprietary practice, but rather an OS
limitation and also to protect your app from being altered by malware:
"you scan my files and i'll kill your process" kinda thing.

am i mistaken?

-JP