funsec mailing list archives

Re: Security Vendor Bypasses Microsoft's Vista PatchGuard

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:18:31 -0700

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
I think the fact that the Internet's users are still here is proof that the
bad guys *do* care.  If any of the black hats really *didn't* care, they'd
have rendered large swatches of the Internet into smoking craters.

Remember that they need it to be at least stable enough so you don't
re-install Vista (or better) and wipe out their keystroke logger, spyware,
adware, botware, or whatever glorpware they dropped on the system.

Perhaps some do. But a few years ago when I used to look at this stuff all the time, I would see things like only 10% of vulnerable machines getting all the way owned because of sloppy malware programming. Or in the last year, the last big wormed Windows vuln had sloppy malware. The first worm out worked well, but the copycats were crashing boxes left and right. I tend to think that if the bad guys attack a million machines, and get control of 100,000, then they are happy.

                                        BB