funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bar code "discounts"

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:20:39 -0400

On 10/25/06, Blanchard_Michael () emc com <Blanchard_Michael () emc com> wrote:

 so what's to stop "pranksters" from printing up a whole bunch of UPC labels
and simply putting them on random items in those stores?  But not actually
buying anything with those phoney stickers on them?  what a mess that would
be for those big evil chains to have to clean up...... They'd have to go
through each and every item in the store and check the barcodes to make sure
they're correct.

I used to work for washington inventory service when I was ~17. I am
not sure how much it cost walmart, but it took a team of 15 people one
day (24 hrs) of work to scan and count evey item in the store.

-JP