funsec mailing list archives

Re: Canadian revolution

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:38:10 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:15:25 BST, Drsolly said:
"Defense of marriage" is a new one to me, what's that all about?

Homophobic evangelicals trying to define "marriage" as a union between
a man and a woman.  They go totally batshit at the thought that Sir Elton
John has likely been in a stable happy monogamous relationship longer than
they have.  So there's been a flurry of attempts to pass state laws,
amendments to state constitutions, and even a lot of talk about putting it
in the US Constitution just so the Supreme Court can't overturn it.

Oh, that. Yes, I heard about that. We got round it very easily. We call it
(legally) "Civil Union", not "marriage", and everyone except lawyers calls
it marriage, and everyone's happy. Couldn't you do the same? Or don't your
tolerant friendly religious nutters buy into "live and let live"?