funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken

From: Mark Carey-Smith <m.careysmith () student qut edu au>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:36:11 +1000 (EST)

--- Original message ----
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:37:23 -0400
From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken
Before this gets discussed, I think a review of the available options
are in order

Quite apart from self-mutilation, my understanding was that soley relying on the accuracy of fingerprint recognition
based biometric systems was not a good idea due to problems with accuracy. I haven't seen any recent advances or
rebuttals of the infamous 'gummy bear' tests conducted by Tsutomu Matsumoto et al in their paper Impact of Artificial
"Gummy" Fingers on Fingerprint Systems ( http://cryptome.org/gummy.htm ).

In this kind of identification scenario, (as opposed to authentication where the system could be easily improved by
adding additional authentication factors e.g: PIN) in a public place with an untrained and possibly uncooperative user
base false positives could be a major problem.

Mark Carey-Smith
PhD Candidate
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology

The ideals which have lighted my way,
and time after time given me new courage
to face life cheerfully, have been
kindness, beauty, and truth. The trite
subjects of life - possessions, outward
success, luxury - have always seemed