funsec mailing list archives

Re: Idaho Killer Holds Encryption Key to Laptop Mystery

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:00:20 -0500

Now - go to the mirror and look at yourself.  Are you *sure* you would
be able to hold that red hot poker *yourself*? To listen to his screams
of pain and terror? To cause those screams?  When your beef with him is
that *he* was able to sink low enough to do that?  At that point, how
can you claim any moral superiority over him?

I'll posit that if you're able to to do it without qualms, you're probably
just as fucked up as he is.  And if you're *not* fucked up before, you
will
be after.  There's a *reason* why firing squads traditionally had one
rifle
at random loaded with a blank...

The random blank in a firing squad cannot even compare to the ticking time
bomb scenario.

A firing squad is an administrative task, not a preventive task. You're not
asking someone on a firing squad to perform a task to save themselves or
humanity. I can't believe this comparison would even be considered.

If you knew that someone had the combination to the stop button and that not
knowing it would mean that you or your family would die, you better be
"fucked up" enough to get the job done and get the information. Otherwise
you will be (fucked up).