funsec mailing list archives

Re: Image spam hits a new level...

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:39:13 +1300

Fergie wrote:

Yep, it's getting quite creative.

Alex Eckelberry blogged on this last week:

 http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/creative-image-spam.html

And others -- e.g.:

http://www.jgc.org/blog/2006/11/yet-more-spammer-image-
optimization.html

And there are other reasons than "OCR-busting" that these approaches
are being used (and it's NOT hash-busting), but I'm not sure a public
list is the place to discuss this yet...

In fact, "hash busting" is an incidental result of the effect the
spammers are really going for, but I doubt that matters any more -- are
any seriously useful anti-spam products still so badly conceived and
designed that they either need to rely on some form of hashing, or
actually get any real leverage from using it?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald