funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Datamining the Massachusetts drivers license photo database

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:57:35 -0500

http://www.masslive.com/hampfrank/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-7/11637546
1448470.xml&coll=1

Computer program picks out suspects
Friday, November 17, 2006
By DAVID REID
dreid () repub com

HOLYOKE - Police Chief Anthony R. Scott said yesterday he will take
advantage of the state's offer to tap into a computer system that can
identify suspects through the Registry of Motor Vehicle's Facial Recognition
System.

In a recent letter to police chiefs throughout the state, RMV Registrar Anne
L. Collins made the offer, which would allow local police to send digital
images of suspects to the registry for identification.

Collins' letter said the software, which has been used successfully by the
registry since May of this year, can compare locally-generated digital
photos with the 9.5 million license images stored in the registry's data
base.

"I've already notified all my commanders, especially the detectives, that
this is a nice tool for us to help catch criminals," Scott said.

The software, used by her agency in conjunction with State Police, has
already helped to nab "several individuals who have fraudulently applied for
multiple licenses or IDs," Collins wrote.

Local police throughout the state would be able to e-mail suspect photos,
which would be run through the registry computers for a match using
thousands of data points, such as eye color and size, hair patters and
color, bone structure, blemishes, tattoos or other distinguishing marks.

Once a potential match is found, local police would be able to view the
registry's photos on a state Web site.

Scott said his detectives could use the registry service to help identify
suspects giving police false names or aliases.

Northampton Police Chief Russell J. Sienkiewicz said yesterday he also
intends to make use of Collins' offer.

"Oh absolutely," said Sienkiewicz. Already, he said, his senior staff has
begun to develop a policy on who and when the system would be used.

Both Scott and Sienkiewicz said the new identification tool will be used to
augment other options they already employ, such as state and federal
fingerprint identification systems accessible within minutes through
computer links.

Collins said yesterday she has pitched the Facial Recognition System to
state officials who investigate insurance fraud, which is a long-standing
problem.

And she said the process has already borne fruit in efforts to stop identity
theft, often used by impostors trying to obtain fake drivers' licenses. If
the identity thieves' digital photos are already in the registry's system,
Collins said, sharp-eyed registry employees can catch the rip-off before a
new license is issued under the wrong name.

"If we can get (the impostor) under a different identity," she said, "we can
spot him and stop him."