funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] "Report warns of people-tagging madness"

From: "Bruce Ediger" <eballen1 () qwest net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:16:10 -0700 (MST)

On 10/30/06, rms () computerbytesman com <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:
Hmm, should I be worried about all this tracking?'

To which Brian Loe responded:
Only if you want to disappear or do something illegal.

Hey, what if your ethnic group falls out of disfavor?  The Hutu/Tutsi
thing in Rwanda didn't happen all that long ago.  Also, I believe
the Czechoslovak Federal Republic revoked the citizenship
of most or all those of "gypsy descent" not too long ago
(http://www.law.nyu.edu/eecr/vol7num2/special/denyingcitizenship.html).

Before 1993, a citizen, after it, a non-citizen.  Would you, as a non-
citizen, really want a long record of your movements, locations, favored
hang outs and associates?  Even if you buy into the government's line that
your ethnicity eats raw kittens, you may not want your former associates
to get stigmatized by your previous association with them.  After all, think
of their children, even if your ethnic group has now been declared to lay
eggs, and is therefore sub-human!

Or, if you don't happen to believe that all those of Amish descent (or
whatever) now belong in concentration camps in North Dakota, will you
personally want to engage in "freedom fighting", which the government
will almost certainly deem "illegal insurgency"?

This is why I never answer polls honestly, always pay cash, vote against
all incumbents, delete or modify all cookies in my browser, run anonym.os,
use TOR, and never go outside during daylight hours without a fake beard
and sunglasses.

Yours sincerely,
Hagbard Celine

--