funsec mailing list archives

RE: Question about Viruses

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:12:15 -0400

The closest I've heard to a real case of this is that some trojans have
included the Eicar test string figuring that the user could be tricked into
ignoring it because it's only Eicar. Because of this there are specific
rules about Eicar detection, such as that it's only supposed to be detected
in files of 128 bytes or less, but I know of at least one false positive on
larger files.

But for the most part massimo is right, it's a dumb strategy

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.eweek.com/blogs/larry%5Fseltzer/